Thanks to your support, Tortugaton 2013 exceeded its goal and more turtles arrived home.
The Tortugaton 2013 exceeded its goal thanks to the support of the Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google Plus and Vine community of Xel -Ha and Xcaret with a total of 64,333 ( sixty-four thousand three hundred thirty-three ) publications with HT #Tortugaton.
The main objective of the campaign was to raise funds for the Sea Turtle Conservation Program in Quintana Roo, led by “Flora, Fauna y Cultura de México AC.” The community was invited to participate by donating hashtags, meaning that for each post in their social networks using the HT #Tortugaton, one Mexican peso was donated.
From August 12nd to September 30th, 2013, we managed to raise a total of 64,333 interactions related to #Tortugaton, which not only helped to exceed the goal, but also to spread the message of love for sea turtles, to raise awareness among the comunity about how we can hhelp, and especially to let the world know that Mexico is the country of sea turtles.
We want to thank your support on behalf of the entire team of “tortugueros” who work day and night guarding, cleaning and securing the beaches to make sure that sea turtles get to spawn, keep the nests intact and baby turtles can reach the sea safely.
Moreover, the Tortugaton wouldn’t had been possible without the support of our sponsors , environmentally conscious companies that decided to join the effort this 2013: Fiesta Americana Vacation Club, Hotel Dreams Tulum Riviera Maya Toyota , Energizer, Hotel Riviera del Sol, Paradise Beach, Big Ideas and Hotel Nueva Vida de Ramiro. The contribution of each of them was of great importance to the campaign, as detailed below:
• Dreams Tulum Hotel donated $ 20,000 MXN , equivalent to the release of 1,000 turtles.
• Toyota Riviera Maya donated $ 20,000 MXN, thanks to this donation, the “tortugueros” can move between beaches and transport materials
• Riviera del Sol Hotel donated $ 20,000 MXN, equivalent to the release of 1,000 turtles.
• Energizer donated batteries worth of $ 18,000 MXN and lamps worth of $ 20,000. Thanks to these batteries, “tortugueros” may wear their red lamps patrolling the beaches at night.
• Nueva Vida de Ramiro Hotel donated $ 55,000 MXN,equivalent to the release of 2,750 turtles.
• Playa Paradise Hotel donated $ 20,000 MXN, equivalent to the release of 1,000 turtles.
• Big Ideas donated three billboards that were used to spread the campaign in the streets of Playa del Carmen.
• Fiesta Americana (Grupo Posadas) donated $ 330,000 MXN, becoming an official sponsor of #Tortugaton.
There is no better way to thank you for your continued involvement and support for Tortugaton 2013 that with the results reported by turtle camps this year:
Baby turtles released by species:
White Turtle: 571.875
Total offspring released 2013 season: 692.748
Nests recorded by species:
Loggerhead nests: 2,018
Turtle nests: 14,806
Hawksbill nests: 10
Leatherback turtle nests: 1
Total nests recorded season 2013: 16,835
Content creator who loves to travel in style, take pictures and be surrounded by nature. Writing blogs has become part of your lifestyle.